As smoke and ash from the Hazelwood Mine fire continue to threaten residents of Morwell in Victoria, Red Cross is there.
100 Red Cross staff and volunteers have registered and provided personal support and first aid to more than 1,000 people in 5 locations in Morwell and Moe. At the request of the local council, 20 Red Cross volunteers are knocking on doors in the areas affected by the fires to check that people are ok. They have visited more than 720 homes so far.
Red Cross volunteers have registered 3,756 people temporarily relocating from Morwell with the Register.Find.Reunite. service to help let their families and friends know where they are staying.
More volunteers are standing by to provide support in the coming days.
Donations to Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery support this everyday work and ensure that we can respond as soon as an emergency occurs.
By donating at any time to Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery you are providing valuable support for our Emergency Services teams in Australia and overseas.
Your donation allows Red Cross to:
- train staff, aid workers and volunteers to be ready to respond as soon as a disaster strikes in Australia and overseas
- teach and support communities in disaster-prone regions to better prepare for disasters
- help affected communities to recover from emergencies - in outback towns, metropolitan cities or small Pacific islands - whether you hear about it in the news or not
- train and send specialist aid workers to assist local Red Cross volunteers and staff in countries affected by major disasters
- maintain stocks of critical disaster response equipment including water filtration, shelter, hygiene and cooking kits for use in emergencies.
Disasters have an enormous impact on people's health, wellbeing and livelihoods; not only in the affected communities but also within the broader community. Events such as the Black Saturday fires remind us how important it is to respond immediately to an emergency and your donation to Disaster Relief and Recovery ensures this is possible.
Red Cross relies on committed volunteers and donors. You can support Red Cross emergency work by making a secure online donation to Disaster Relief and Recovery, or by phoning 1800 811 700.
Learn more about our Emergency Services in Australia.
Learn more about our International Emergencies.
Red Cross produces resources designed to help people better prepare, respond to and recover from emergencies.